Description of Problem 100000016354
Can I use an answering machine on the same line as my Brother machine? TADDescription of Solution 200000021004
The following steps pertain to physical telephone answering machines only (TAD). If a Voice Mail Service is used in lieu of a physical TAD, you may experience problems receiving faxes and voice messages. Voice mail service can only be used with the Distinctive Ring feature.
When someone dials your telephone/fax number, every telephone on the line#including your Brother machine#will ring according to the number ofrings you set on your answering machine. If you do not answer the call,your answering machine will. As your outgoing message is playing on your answering machine, your Brother machine is silently #listening# for fax-sending tones.
- If your Brother machine detects fax-sending tones, it will take over the line and receive the fax.
- If your Brother machine does not detect fax-sending tones, your answering machine will continue to play your outgoing message so the caller can leave a message.
To set up an answering machine on the same line as your Brother machine follow the steps listed below:
1. Connect a telephone cord from the jack labeled LINE on your Brother machine directly to the wall telephone jack.
2. Connect the answering machine's phone line from the jack labeled Telephone Line on the answering machine to the jack labeled EXT on the Brother machine. Double check that the TAD's phone line cord is pluggedinto the jack labeled Telephone Line and not Telephone Set on the TAD.
3. Set the receive mode to TAD:ANSWER MACH
a. Press the Mode key. The screen displays your current selection (FAX ONLY, FAX/TEL, TAD:ANSWER MACH. or MANUAL)
b. Continue to press the MODE key until TAD:ANSWER MACH appears on the display.
4. Set your answering machine to answer within 4 rings.
- If you are having problems receiving faxes in TAD Mode, try programming your answering machine to answer within 2 or 3 rings. We recommend this because when faxes are being sent, fax tones are transmitted for approximately 35 seconds. If it takes your answering machine too long to answer, the sending fax machine may disconnect before your Brother machine can detect and receive the fax.
- Your Brother machine's Ring Delay setting does not apply when you use an external answering machine.
5. Record the outgoing message on your answering machine:
a. Limit your speaking to 20 seconds.
b. End your outgoing message by giving your Fax Receive Code for people sending manual faxes.
- For example, "After the beep, please leave a message or send a fax by pressing *51 and Start.#