Description of Problem 100000017302
How do I print envelopes, labels, or thick paper
from the multipurpose tray (MP Tray)?Description of Solution 200000022107
When the back output tray is pulled down, the
printer has a straight paper path from the MP tray through to the back of the
printer. Use this paper feed and output method when you want to print on thick
paper, labels, or envelopes.
Instructions with illustrations are available on the web site below.
1. Open the back cover (back output tray).
a. To prevent creasing of envelopes, adjust the envelope levers located in
the back of machine by pushing down on the two blue levers until the arrow marks
point to the envelope icons. These levers do not need to be adjusted for labels
or thick paper. The web site below contains an illustration of the blue
2. Open the MP tray and lower it gently. The MP tray on the front of the
printer can be pulled open using the indentations on the sides of the
3. Pull out the MP tray support flap on the MP tray using the half circle
indentation on the top of the MP tray. You may also fold out the extension
4. Put envelopes, labels, or thick paper in the MP tray. Make sure that the
paper stays under the maximum paper mark imprinted on the paper guide
When you put paper in the MP tray, remember the following:
- Put the leading edge (top of the paper) in first and push it gently into
- Make sure that the paper is straight and in the proper position in the MP
tray. If it is not, the paper may not be fed properly, resulting in a skewed
printout or a paper jam.
- DO NOT put more than 3 envelopes in the MP tray.
- Envelope joints that are sealed by the manufacturer should be secure.
- The side to be printed on must be face up.
- All sides of the envelope should be properly folded without wrinkles or
5. While pressing the paper-guide release lever, slide the paper guide to fit
the paper size.
6. Choose the Paper Size, Media Type, Paper Source, and any other settings
you may want to make from the printer driver or print menu of the application
you are using.
Note when printing envelopes :
- When you use Envelope #10, choose Com-10 for the Paper Size.
- For other envelopes which are not listed in the printer driver, such as
Envelope #9 or Envelope C6, choose User Defined... (in Windows) or Custom Page
Sizes (in Macintosh).
7. Send the print data to the printer.
- Remove each sheet or envelope at once after printing. Stacking the sheets
or envelopes in the back output tray may cause the paper to jam or curl.
- If envelopes get smudged during printing set the Media Type to Thick Paper
or Thicker Paper to increase the fixing temperature.
- (For Windows users) If DL size double flap envelopes are creased after
printing, choose DL Long Edge in Paper Size, from the Basic tab. Put a new DL
size double-flap envelope in the MP tray with the longest edge of the envelope
in first, then print again.
8. If the two blue envelope levers where adjusted for envelope printing, lift
them back to their original position. If the levers were not adjusted continue
to next step.
9. Close the back cover.