Brother International Corporation - Notice of California Consumer Data Collection and Sharing Practices
Effective Date: January 1, 2020
Revised: August 22, 2022
The California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) provides California residents with rights to receive certain disclosures regarding the collection, use, and sharing of “Personal Information,” as well as rights to access and control Personal Information.
The CCPA defines “Personal Information” to mean “information that identifies, relates to, describes, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household.” Certain information we collect may be exempt from the CCPA because it is considered public information (i.e., it is made available by a government entity) or covered by a federal privacy law, such as the Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, or the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
To the extent that we collect Personal Information that is subject to the CCPA, that information, our practices, and your rights are described below.
Right to Information Regarding the Categories of Personal Information Collected, Sold, and Disclosed
Please see our Notice of California Consumer Data Collection and Sharing Practices below.
Right to Access InformationYou have the right to request access to Personal Information collected about you and information regarding the source of that information, the purposes for which we collect it, and the third parties and service providers with whom we share it. To protect our customers’ Personal Information, we are required to verify your identity before we can act on your request.
Right to Request Deletion of InformationYou have the right to request in certain circumstances that we delete any Personal Information that we have collected directly from you. To protect our customers’ Personal Information, we are required to verify your identity before we can act on your request. We may have a reason under the law why we do not have to comply with your request, or why we may comply with it in a more limited way than you anticipated. If we do, we will explain that to you in our response.
Right to Opt-Out of Sale of Personal InformationBrother does not sell Personal Information as the term “sell” is traditionally understood. However, the CCPA defines “sell” very broadly, such as the sharing of personal information with third parties in exchange for something of value, even if no money changes hands. As such, sharing an advertising or device identifier to a third party may be considered a “sale” under the CCPA.
Right to Information Regarding Participation in Data Sharing for Financial Incentives
We may run promotions from time to time whereby we incentivize a consumer to share certain pieces of information with us; for example, we may offer a one-time discount if consumers sign up for our email marketing list. Participation in these incentives is voluntary and you may opt out of the data sharing at any time.
California's Shine the Light Act Rights
Residents of the California also have the right to request information regarding third parties to whom the company has disclosed certain categories of Personal Information during the preceding year for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes.
To make a request, please send your request by mail to Brother International Corporation, Attn: Legal Department - Privacy, 200 Crossing Boulevard, Bridgewater, NJ 08807 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Submit a Request
You may submit a request to exercise your rights through one of the following means:
1) By filling out a Consumer Data Request Form.
2) By calling us at 1-855-996-0289, Monday through Friday during the hours of 6:00 AM to 3:00 PM Pacific Time.
Before complying with a Right to Access or Right to Delete request, we will first contact you to verify your identity.
You may also designate someone else to make a request on your behalf. To protect your information, we will ask for a signed permission from you authorizing the other person to submit a request on your behalf. We will contact you to verify your identity before we respond to your authorized agent’s request.
Notice of California Consumer Data Collection and Sharing Practices
The following is a description of our data collection practices, including the personal information we collect, the sources of that information, the purposes for which we collect information, and whether we disclose that information to external parties. The categories we use to describe the information are those enumerated in the CCPA.
- Personal Identifiers:
- We collect your name, email address, phone number, and contact address when you create an account or complete a transaction. If you choose to create an account, you will also be asked to create a username. We use this information to provide our Services, respond to your requests, and send information and advertisements to you.
- We collect your social media handle and basic account information when you interact with our services through social media. We use this information to improve our services, respond to your requests or complaints, and send information and advertisements to you.
- We collect a unique numerical identifier, assigned to you by a first-party cookie, automatically when you use our Site in order to identify you, provide our Services, keep you logged in to our Site, prevent fraud, and provide you with targeted information and offers.
- We collect payment information when you provide it to us, or to a service provider working on our behalf, when you complete a transaction. We use this information to facilitate payments and transactions.
- We collect your IP address when you use our Site. We use this information to gauge online activity on our Site, measure the effectiveness of online services, applications, and tools, and serve targeted advertisements based on your online activities.
- We collect your Device ID when you use certain of our Services. We use this information to monitor your use and the effectiveness of our Services, to identify you, and to provide you with targeted information and offers.
- Protected Classifications: We collect information related to your gender, if you choose to provide it, for the purpose of communicating with you.
- Commercial Information: When you engage in transactions with us, we create records of goods or services purchased or considered, as well as purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies. We collect information from our products and the devices connected to the products including the printer model, serial number, device location, usage data, and operating information unless you opt out of such collection. We use this information to measure the effectiveness of our services and to provide you with targeted information, advertisements, and offers.
- Biometric Information: We do not collect information about your physiological, biological, or behavioral characteristics.
- Internet or Other Electronic Network Activity Information: We collect information about your browsing history, search history, and information regarding your interaction with websites, applications, or advertisements automatically when you use our Services. We use this information to gauge online activity on our Site, measure the effectiveness of online services, applications, and tools, and to serve targeted advertisements based on your online activities.
- Geolocation Data: As described above, we collect your IP address automatically when you use our Services. We may be able to determine your general location based on the IP address. We also collect your device location when you have not opted out of the collection of device data. We do not collect your precise location (e.g., your GPS coordinates). If you allow your device to provide us with this information, we use it to make improvements to our products and services, and to provide recommendations and deliver relevant advertising.
- Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information: If you contact us via telephone, we may record the call. We use this information to monitor our customer service. We will notify you if a call is being recorded at the beginning of the call.
- Professional or employment-related information: We collect your employer’s name and address if necessary to complete a transaction.
- Education information: We do not collect any information about the institutions you have attended or the level of education you have attained.
- Inferences drawn to create a profile about a consumer reflecting the consumer’s preferences or characteristics: We analyze your actual or likely preferences through a series of computer processes. On some occasions, we may add our observations to your internal profile. We use this information to gauge and develop our marketing activities, measure the appeal and effectiveness of our services, applications, and tools, and to provide you with targeted information, advertisements, and offers.
We may use any of the categories of information listed above for other business or operational purposes compatible with the context in which the Personal Information was collected.