About the Product
The Brother MFC-J1170DW is the ideal color inkjet all-in-one printer for your home office and small office needs. It includes robust features, two-sided printing to help save paper, business-centric functionality, high-quality output and fast inkjet print speeds – up to 17 ppm black and white and 16.5 ppm color.‡ The MFC-J1170DW is easy to connect and operate along with being compact and economical. This printer has multiple flexible connection options, including a built-in wireless‡ interface for sharing with multiple users on your network, Wi-Fi Direct®, Ethernet or connect locally to a single computer via a USB interface. There’s no network setup needed for NFC one “touch to connect” mobile device printing.‡ The generous 2.7” color touchscreen enables easy navigation and simple icons for accessing powerful features plus print-from and scan-to popular cloud services including Google Drive™, Dropbox, Box, OneDrive and more,‡ directly from the printer. Enjoy reliable printing, copying, scanning and faxing plus wireless printing from your desktop, laptop, smartphone or tablet.‡ This printer features the Brother Mobile Connect‡ App, a user-friendly interface that gives you the freedom to print and manage your printer from virtually anywhere. The MFC-J1170DW also features the unique Brother Page Gauge‡ which estimates remaining page levels, so you always know how much ink you have left. Use the 20-page capacity automatic document feeder or the 150-sheet capacity adjustable paper tray for generous output without constant monitoring. Comes with a 2-year limited warranty and free online, live chat or phone support for the life of the printer. Works with Alexa.
- Delivering full functionality in a small space. This compact inkjet all-in-one fits in tight spaces and delivers full functionality for all of your document printing and imaging needs. There’s no sacrificing features with this sleek, compact design. A welcome addition to any home, home office or small office space; perfect where space is at a premium.
- Fast inkjet print speeds for all your printing. Print up to 17 ppm for black and white and 16.5 ppm for color.‡
- Connect your way with versatile connection options. Multiple connection options include built-in wireless,‡ Wi-Fi Direct®, Ethernet or connect locally to a single computer via USB interface. Works with Alexa.
- Wireless printing and scanning capabilities offer true mobility. Printing as mobile as you are. Print and scan wirelessly‡ from your desktop, laptop, smartphone and tablet.
- Near Field Communications (NFC) print and scan capabilities.‡ There’s no network setup needed for NFC one “touch to connect” mobile printing from a cell phone or other mobile device for true ease-of-use.‡
- Generous 2.7” color touchscreen. Easy-to-read, color touchscreen enables simple, intuitive navigation to powerful features plus print-from and scan-to popular cloud services including Google Drive™, Dropbox, Box, OneDrive and more‡ directly from the printer
- Versatile paper handling. Use the 20-page capacity automatic document feeder for quick copying and scanning. The generous 150-sheet capacity paper tray doesn’t need constant refilling and adjusts for letter or legal-size paper. Automatic duplex (2-sided) printing helps save paper.
- Page Gauge⁵ empowers worry-free printing. Eliminate the guesswork of ink replacement when you access Page Gauge, so you know the amount of ink you’ve used and the amount of ink you have remaining.‡
- The Brother Mobile Connect‡ App puts the power of printing at your fingertips. Go mobile with the simple to use free Brother Mobile Connect‡ App that delivers easy onscreen menu navigation for printing, copying, scanning, and device management from your mobile device.
- Featuring Brother At Your Side support. Featuring Brother At Your Side support. Comes with a 2-Year Limited Warranty and At Your Side support for the life of your product including online, live chat or phone support – visit us at www.brother.com.
- Never buy ink or toner cartridges again‡ with Refresh EZ Print Subscription. For one low monthly payment, print subscription plan options are based on the number of pages you print, not on how many ink or toner cartridges you use.‡ Print plan options include Brother Genuine ink or toner delivered right to your door before you need it. To learn more visit https://www.brother-usa.com/supplies/refreshsmartdelivery.
Increase Your Productivity, Not Your Cost
Take your productivity to the next level with 2-sided printing, fast printing and scanning speeds and versatile paper handling options including a 20-page capacity ADF for quick copying and scanning.
Easy-to-Use 2.7 Inch Full Color Touchscreen
This color touchscreen display is easy to read and offers access to powerful features, as well as print-from and scan-to popular cloud services(1) directly from the printer.
Power of Printing At Your Finger Tips
This printer features the Brother Mobile Connect(2) App, a user-friendly interface that gives you the freedom to print and manage your printer from virtually anywhere.
Connect And Print Your Way
Say goodbye to network setup with NFC one “touch to connect” mobile printing! This powerful printing feature lets you print from a cell phone or other mobile device for true ease-of-use(3).
Worry Free printing using Page Gauge
Eliminate the guesswork of ink replacement when you use the Brother Mobile Connect(2) App to access Page Gauge, so you know the amount of ink you’ve used and the amount of ink you have remaining(4).
For Use with Brother Genuine Supplies:
|Description||Standard Yield||Standard Yield||Standard Yield||Standard Yield||High Yield||High Yield|
|Approximate Page Yield (5)||200 pages||200 pages||200 pages||200 pages||500 pages / cartridge||500 pages / cartridge|
|Cartridge Color||Black||Cyan||Magenta||Yellow||Black||Cyan, Magenta, Yellow|
|What's in the box||1 Black Ink Cartridge||1 Cyan Ink Cartridge||1 Magenta Ink Cartridge||1 Yellow Ink Cartridge||2 Black Ink Cartridges||3 Color Ink Cartridges|
|Brother Genuine Reliability||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Functions||Print / Copy / Scan / Fax||Print / Copy / Scan||Print / Copy / Scan / Fax||Print / Copy / Scan / Fax|
|Includes up to 1-year of Ink In-Box||No||Yes (6)||Yes (7)||Yes (7)|
|Max ISO Print Speed (8)||17 ppm / 16.5 ppm||16 ppm / 9 ppm||20 ppm / 19 ppm||20 ppm / 19 ppm|
|Paper Tray (Max Capacity)||150 sheets||150 sheets||150 sheets||400 sheets|
|Auto Document Feeder||Up to 20 sheets||No||Up to 20 sheets||Up to 20 sheets|
|Display||2.7" Color Touchscreen||LED||1.8" Color LCD||2.7" Color Touchscreen|
|Standard Interfaces (9)||Wireless, Wi-Fi Direct®, USB 2.0||Wireless, Wireless Direct, USB 2.0||Wireless, Wi-Fi Direct®, USB 2.0||Wireless, Wi-Fi Direct®, USB 2.0|
|Mobile Device Compatibility (9)||AirPrint®, Mopria®||AirPrint®, Mopria®||AirPrint®, Mopria®||AirPrint®, Mopria®|
(2) Requires connection to a wireless network. Brother Mobile Connect free app download is not available in all countries.
(3) The mobile device must have NFC capability and run Android OS 4.4 or later.
(4) Page Gauge is an estimate for informational purposes only. For actual cartridge yield information refer to www.brother.com/pageyield.
(5) All page yields are approximate and are calculated in accordance with ISO/IEC 24711; for additional page yield info, see www.brother.com/pageyield.
(6) Based on average monthly print volumes of approximately 100 pages at 60% black pages/40% color pages in accordance with ISO/IEC 24711 using 4 cartridges provided in-box. For additional page yield information, see www.brother.com/pageyield.
(7) Based on average monthly print volumes of approximately 150 pages at 60% black pages/40% color pages in accordance with ISO/IEC 24711 using 4 cartridges provided in-box. For additional page yield information, see www.brother.com/pageyield.
(8) Based on ISO/IEC 24734 (after first set of ISO test pages). For inkjet print speed methodology, please visit www.brother-usa.com/printspeed.
(9) Requires connection to a wireless network. AirPrint is a registered trademark of Apple Inc. Mopria® is a registered trademark or service mark of Mopria Alliance, Inc. in the United States and other countries. Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited. Wi-Fi Direct is a registered trademark of Wi-Fi Alliance®. Brother Mobile Connect and Brother iPrint&Scan free app download are not available in all countries.
Images are for illustrative purposes only. Specifications subject to change.
|Brother Cloud Apps‡||Scan to Mobile, Fax Forward to Cloud / Email, Scan To PowerPoint, Scan To Excel, Scan to Word, Easy Scan to E-mail|
|Mobile Device Compatibility‡||AirPrint®, Brother Mobile Connect, Brother iPrint&Scan, Mopria™ , Wi-Fi Direct®, NFC|
|Near Field Communications‡||Yes|
|One-Push Wireless Setup||Wi-Fi Protected Setup™|
|Standard Interface(s)||Wireless 802.11 b/g/n, Ethernet, NFC, Wi Fi Direct, Hi-Speed USB 2.0|
|Supported Network Protocols (IPv4)||APIPA (Auto IP), TFTP Server, ARP, BOOTP, CIFS Client, Custom Raw Port/Port 9100, DHCP, DNS Resolver, FTP Client and Server, HTTP Server, ICMP, IPP, LDAP, LLMNR Responder, LPR/LPD, mDNS, RARP, SMTP Client, SNMPv1/v2c/v3, SNTP Client, Web Services (Print/Scan), WINS/NetBIOS Name Resolution|
|Supported Network Protocols (IPv6)||TFTP Server, HTTP Server, FTP Client, NDP, RA, DNS Resolver, mDNS, LLMNR Responder, LPR/LPD, Custom Raw Port/Port 9100, SMTP Client, SNMPv1/v2c/v3, ICMPv6, LDAP, Web Services (Print/Scan)|
|System Requirements||Download System Requirements †|
|Black Copy Speed (max. ppm)||13|
|Color Copy Speed (max. ppm)||10.5|
|Copy Capability||Black and White, Color|
|Copy Resolution||1200 x 600 dpi|
|N in 1 Functions||2in1 / 4in1|
|Carton Dimensions (W" x D" x H")||10.0" x 18.625" x 17.5"|
|Carton Weight (lbs)||20.0|
|Unit Dimensions (W" x D" x H")||15.7" x 13.5" x 6.8"|
|Unit Weight (lbs)||16.4|
|Fax Modem Speed||14.4k bps|
|Fax Page Memory‡ (max. pages)||200|
|PC Fax Capability (Send/Receive)‡||Yes|
|Ink Save Mode||Yes|
|LCD Display||2.7" Color Touchscreen|
|Maximum Monthly Duty Cycle‡||Up to 2,500 pages|
|Operating System Compatibility||PC: Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7; Windows Server 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2, 2016 Mac(R): OS X v10.14.6, 10.15.x, 10.11|
|Recommended Monthly Print Volume‡||Up to 1,000 pages|
|Standard Memory (MB)||128|
|Automatic Document Feeder Capacity (max. pages‡)||20|
|Automatic Document Feeder Capacity (max. pages‡)||20|
|Duplex Printing Capability||Yes|
|Manual Feed Capacity‡ (sheets)||1|
|Maximum Input for ADF (Width/Height)||8.5"/14"|
|Media Type||Plain, Glossy Paper ‡, Recycled Paper|
|Minimum Input for ADF (Width/Height)||5.8"/5.8"|
|Output Paper Capacity (sheets)||100|
|Paper Handling Size – Duplex Printing||Letter, Executive, A4, A5|
|Paper Handling Size - Multi-Purpose Tray||Letter, Envelope, Legal, Executive, A4, A5, A6, Index Card (5" x 7"), Index Card (5" x 8"), Envelope (Com-10), Envelope (C5), Envelope (DL), Envelope (Monarch), Folio (8" x 13"), Photo (3.5" x 5"), Photo (5" x 7")|
|Paper Handling Size - Paper Tray||Letter, Envelope, Legal, Executive, A4, A6, Envelope (C5), Envelope (DL), Envelope (Monarch), Photo (3.5" x 5"), Photo (4" x 6"), Photo (5" x 7"), Photo (5" x 8"), Photo (8" x 10")|
|Sheet Weight - ADF (Min/Max)||17-24 lbs.|
|Sheet Weight - Paper Tray (Min/Max)||17 - 58 lbs. (bond)|
|Standard Paper Input Capacity‡ (sheets)||150|
|ENERGY STAR® Certified||Yes|
|Operating Environment: Humidity||20-80% (w/out condensation)|
|Operating Environment: Temperature||50-95° F|
|Power Consumption - Power Off/Deep Sleep/Ready/Copying||Approx. 0.2W/1.3W/3.5W/21W|
|Power Source||AC 120V 50/60Hz|
|Automatic Duplex Printing||Yes (default)|
|Black Print Speed ‡ (max. ppm)||17|
|Cloud Services‡ (Print)||BOX/BOX for Business, ONENOTE, SharePoint Online, GOOGLE DRIVE™/GOOGLE DRIVE for Business, EVERNOTE®/EVERNOTE Business, ONEDRIVE/ONEDRIVE for Business, DROPBOX/DROPBOX for Business|
|Color Print Speed ‡ (max. ppm)||16.5|
|Consumable Type||Ink Cartridge|
|Print Resolution (max. dpi)||1200 x 600 dpi|
|Printer Driver Compatibility‡||Windows, macOS®|
|Advanced Scanning Features||Continuous Scan‡, ADF Auto Deskew, Blank Page Skip|
|Cloud Services‡||GOOGLE DRIVE™/GOOGLE DRIVE for Business, ONENOTE, EVERNOTE®/EVERNOTE Business, ONEDRIVE/ONEDRIVE for Business, DROPBOX/DROPBOX for Business|
|Direct Scanning Destinations‡||USB Flash Memory Drive, Mobile Devices, Google Drive, Evernote/Evernote for Business, Dropbox, Microsoft OneNote, OneDrive/OneDrive for Business|
|Interpolated Scan Resolution‡ (max. dpi)||19200 x 19200 dpi|
|Mobile Device Scanning‡||Brother Mobile Connect|
|Scan File Formats||JPEG (JPG), PDF Single-page/Multi-page (PDF/A, High Compression PDF, Portable Network Graphics (PNG), TIFF Single-page/Multi-page (TIF)|
|"Scan To" Feature‡||OCR‡, Image‡, Workflow (Brother iPrint&Scan)‡, Cloud Services (Brother iPrint&Scan)‡, Easy Scan to Email‡, PC (File, Email, Image, OCR), Cloud Services (Web Connect)‡|
|Scanning Capability||B/W and Color|
|Simplex A4 Scan Speeds (black / color)‡ (max. ipm)||17/7|
Supplies & Accessories (10)
|Broadcasting (# of locations)||B&W only.|
|Borderless Printing||Borderless printing is available for Letter, 4"x6", 5"x8", 5"x7", A4, A6, 3.9"x5.8" and 5.8"x7.8" paper sizes. Borderless not available with duplex printing. Minimum default margins when not printing borderless is 0.12 inches.|
|Brother Cloud Apps||Requires an Internet connection.|
|Call Waiting/ Caller ID/ Distinctive Ring Ready||Check with local phone company for service availability.|
|Cloud Services (Web Connect)||Requires an Internet connection and an account with desired service. All referenced trademarks and registered trademarks are the property of their respective companies. ©2018 Google LLC All rights reserved. Google Drive is a trademark of Google LLC. EVERNOTE is a trademark of Evernote Corporation and used under a license.|
|Fax Page Memory (max. pages)||Using ITU-T Test Chart #1 at standard resolution and highest compression mode.|
|Print Resolution (max. dpi)||Resolutions are listed vertical by horizontal dpi.|
|Standard Input Paper Capacity (sheets)||Maximum capacity based on using 20 lb (bond) paper.|
|Brother Mobile Connect Application||Requires connection to a wireless network. Brother Mobile Connect free app download is not available in all countries.|
|Page Gauge||Page Gauge is an estimate for informational purposes only. For actual cartridge yield information refer to www.brother.com/pageyield.|
|Duplex Printing||Up to Letter Paper Size (8.5" x 11")|
|ISO-based Copy Speed (black&Color)||Copy speed using ADF. Based on ISO/IEC 24735. For inkjet copy speed methodology, please visit https://www.brother-usa.com/-/media/files/PPM_page_L2.ashx.|
|ISO-based Print Speed||ISO print speed based on ISO/IEC 24734 (after first set of ISO test pages). For more details, please visit www.brother-usa.com/printspeed.|
|Maximum Monthly Duty Cycle‡||Maximum number of printed pages per month and can be used to compare designed durability between like Brother products. For maximum printer life, it is best to choose a printer with a duty cycle that far exceeds your print requirements.|
|Mobile Device Compatibility||Requires connection to a wireless network. NFC requires the mobile device to have NFC capability and run Android OS 4.4 or later. AirPrint is a registered trademark of Apple Inc. Mopria® is a registered trademark or service mark of Mopria Alliance, Inc. in the United States and other countries. Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited. Wi-Fi Direct is a registered trademark of Wi-Fi Alliance®.|
|Near Field Communication (NFC)||The mobile device must have NFC capability and run Android OS 4.4 or later.|
|Recommended Monthly Print Volume||The recommended range of monthly printed pages to achieve the best possible performance and printer life. Printers are intended to handle occasional usage beyond this range with little or no effect. Consistently printing above the recommended print volume, however, may adversely affect the print quality or life of the machine. It is always best to choose a printer with an appropriate recommended print volume to allow for any anticipated increase in printing needs.|
|USB Direct Interface||Additional purchase required|
|Best Transmission Speed (approx. sec./page)||Based on ITU-T test chart with highest available coding method and standard resolution.|