April Fool’s Day “Sponge Cake" Prank
This holiday, clean up with this fun cake inspired craft! Absorb all the details here!
You will need: Large yellow sponges, scissors, exacto knife, craft felt, craft foam, hot glue, High-tack fabric support sheet
Note: This project lists the steps to create a 2-layer circular cake (like in the photo).
- Use a pen to trace a 3-inch circle on the top of a sponge. Grab an exacto blade and cut around the circle, into the sponge. It won’t go all the way through at first, so take a second pass around to separate the circle from the rest of the sponge.
- Next use a pair of scissors to trim and clean up any jagged edges around the sponge. The sponge should look slightly rounded and soft-looking--like a cake!
- Repeat steps 1-2 to create 2 “cakes.”
- Load “Cake Frosting.fcm” into your machine.
- Select some colors of felt to use- We used one sheet of blue and one sheet of white for our cake. You’ll likely need to place a High-Tack Fabric Support sheet on your mat to ensure your felt cuts properly.
- Cut out the frosting shapes. Layer the felt on top of the cake pieces and secure the “drips” down on the sides of the cake with hot glue if needed.
- Open your machine’s built-in pattern designs, and go to the basic shapes section. Get creative here! We chose some circles and rounded rectangles that looked a bit like sprinkles, and resized everything to a nice small shape. For sprinkles, a 0.25” width is plenty big.
- Stick craft foam to your mat in some bright contrasting colors and cut out the sprinkles/cake accessories.
- Place your accessories on your cake, and assemble all pieces. Secure with hot glue where needed.
- Done! (just remember, this is a decorative cake, so please, do not eat this!)