Create a cool Can Cozy for Father's Day
Create a one-of-a-kind can cozy for Dad so all his favorite drinks can stay cool!
You will need: ScanNCut DX, Heat Transfer Vinyl, sewing machine, fabric, thread, quilt batting, iron.
- Cut a piece of fabric that measures 10” w x 10” h.
- Cut a piece of quilt batting that measures 9” w x 3.5” h.
- Using an iron, fold down and crease each vertical edge by 0.25”.
- Fold the fabric around the quilt batting roughly in thirds, using an iron to crease the top and bottom folds. The dimension of the fabric and quilt batting should now be around 9.5” w x 3.5” h.
- Use a sewing machine to secure the top and bottom of the cozy, getting your stitches as close to the edge as possible. Don’t close the loop yet - keep the can cozy flat.
- Download CanGraphic.fcm to your machine.
- Place a sheet of heat-transfer vinyl onto your mat, making sure to place the carrier (super shiny!) side down. Cut out the design.
- Peel away all excess vinyl. There should only be your design left on a sticky clear sheet.
- Place the vinyl sticky side down onto the center portion of the can-cozy.
- Lay a piece of scrap fabric over your design and use an iron on medium heat (no steam) and press the design firmly into the fabric. Make sure all parts of the design are pressed down.
- Once the design is bonded to your fabric, let the fabric cool for a few seconds.
- Peel off the clear backing and let cool for a couple of minutes.
- Flip your can cozy around so that the outside is facing in and place the vertical-edge seams together (there should be a 0.25” seam allowance on each side).
- Sew the edge seams, making sure to backstitch at the beginning and end of the row to secure the stitches.
- Flip the can cozy right side out and use to keep your cans cold!