Craft A Custom Watercolor Card
- ScanNCut DX
- Standard mat
- Watercolor paper
- Watercolors (pen or traditional)
- Paint brush
The new free app Artspira combines all of the best of creativity. With new designs added weekly, a magazine with helpful tutorials, and making designs so easy to transfer to your ScanNCut DX machine - it is a must for all crafters! For this project, I took the candle cut file from Artspira, cut it from watercolor paper, then custom colored, and used my favorites to create a birthday card for a dear friend. There are endless variations and ways to create with the ScanNCut – what will you make next?
- Open the Artspira app, open the cut files, party and occasions, and select the candles. Once selected, press to transfer to your ScanNCut DX machine.
- On your ScanNCut DX, ensure you are on Wi-Fi, then go to retrieve data, press the ‘cloud’ in the top right, and the file will be transferred in a moment. Once complete, resize as needed, noting the height of each candle in comparison to the height of the card you’d like to make.
- Place watercolor paper on a standard mat, load the mat, and cut. The Auto Blade will adjust for the paper and cut a second pass if needed.
- Remove the mat from the machine, but leave the paper, both cut and excess in place. With such tiny parts, it is much easier to color the pieces while still in place on the mat! Note that if you do not use excessive amounts of watercolor, this will in no way harm your mat or cause color to bleed through.
- Using watercolors or any color medium of your choice, color each candle. Blend with water, add more colors until satisfied, and then allow the paper to fully dry.
- Once dry, remove the watercolor pieces of candles from the mat and adhere to a piece of 3 ¾” x 5” white cardstock. I recommend double sided tape instead of liquid adhesive, as the watercolor can react.
- Mount onto a 4 ¼ x 5 ½” folded card, add a sentiment and note inside, and gift!