Directional Sewing Without Turning your Fabric

Did you know that on some of the Brother machines you can sew in many directions without turning the fabric? Today I want to show you how easy it is to use directional sewing for attaching straps. This would be ideal for strengthening the straps on the Canvas Tote Bag Sewalong.

Machine Used:

Feature:

• Multi-Directional Sewing
You will find all the stitches by clicking the Multi-Directional Sewing icon on the stitch selection screen. Here you will see all stitches available: sewing left, right, forward, backward, and diagonally. Notice these stitches can be with a straight stitch or a zigzag stitch – I see a lot of possibilities! There is a video below to show how I attach my straps and here is a quick rundown. I am using a piece of canvas fabric and grosgrain ribbon for this demo, so ignore the frayed raw edges 😊 Start by sewing a straight stitch to attach the strap to the fabric. Flip up the strap along the stitched edge. The next stitch will be about 1/8” from the folded edge. Press the forward stitch icon on the screen and stitch. There is no need to cut the thread or raise the needle when moving onto the second stitch. Simply click the next stitch direction and sew. This is the list of stitches, in order, to create the box:
  1. 5-07 Forward
  2. 5-01 Diagonal back to the left
  3. 5-05 Right
  4. 5-06 Diagonal front to the left
  5. 5-02 Backward
  6. 5-07 Forward
  7. 5-05 Right
  8. Lock stitch
[youtube id="-JXBt5lGpLY"] I hope you find this tutorial useful for many projects! Be sure to share your photos #brothersews #angelawolf, you know I always love to see what you are working on! Cheers, Angela angelas-sig
Comments (9)
img
Debbie Says:
8/19/2017 5:42:18 PM

Can this be done when using a walking foot when quilting around a square?

Reply To Debbie

Your email will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

img
Angela Says:
8/17/2017 6:26:25 PM

Elaine, It sure take out the hassle of twisting and turning the fabric! Enjoy :)

Reply To Angela

Your email will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

img
Brian Swisher Says:
8/15/2017 2:15:32 PM

Hi Daphne, Here is the YouTube link for the video - https://youtu.be/-JXBt5lGpLY Happy Sewing! Brian

Reply To Brian Swisher

Your email will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

img
Gailete Says:
8/6/2017 11:37:22 AM

I don't have a machine that will do this, but have wondered how some machines do. I have learned something today!!

Reply To Gailete

Your email will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

img
Elaine Says:
8/6/2017 7:29:06 AM

Thank you for posting this. I make a lot of bags and never realized the possibilities of this amazing machine. This will be a big help on my next project.

Reply To Elaine

Your email will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

img
Marie Says:
1/24/2018 5:29:12 PM

Thank you for this! May I ask where you bought your oilcloth/poly bag fabric? I liked the stiffness of it and have been looking for some to make bags.

Reply To Marie

Your email will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

img
Angela Says:
8/17/2017 6:28:07 PM

There are a few other Brother machines that offer this directional stitch as well. It's so fun I end up trying to find projects to use this :)

Reply To Angela

Your email will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

img
Daphne Says:
8/10/2017 12:16:36 PM

Unable to get the video. No audio available. Can someone send me a proper link to this directional sewing tip. My email is daphnekinch@rogers.com. Many thanks. Daphne

Reply To Daphne

Your email will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

img
Angela Wolf Says:
8/21/2017 11:27:24 AM

You can't use a walking foot with the directional stitching - I think is suggests using the 'N" foot, although the "J" foot works ok too.

Reply To Angela Wolf