Applique Star: Ornament or Coaster Project

Create as many great little Free Standing Applique Star ornaments or coasters as you want with this free design. It looks good on both the front and back sides. This is achieved by using the same thread color in the bobbin and top thread. It’s a great little design that fits within a 4” x 4” hoop.

Materials:

• 5” x 5” Each for Background fabric, Star fabric 1, Star fabric 2 and backing fabric (Total of 4 fabrics)
  • 5” x 5” Batting or fleece
  • Stabilizer – Wash Away Stabilizer
  • Thread – One color thread to complement the fabric
  • 4” x 4” embroidery hoop
  • Free Standing Star_V5.pes
  • THE Dream Machine

Embroidery Directions:

1. Hoop the Wash Away stabilizer in the 4” x 4” hoop.
  2. Transfer the Free Standing Star Design to the machine.
Free Standing Applique Star
  1. Attach the hoop to the embroidery machine.
Free Standing Applique Star
  1. Stitch out Placement stitches onto the Wash Away Stabilizer.
Free Standing Applique Star
  1. Place the Fleece or batting on top of Placement Stitches. Secure the Fleece or Batting by stitching out the Tack Down Stitch, color change 2. Remove the hoop from the embroidery machine, place on a flat surface and trim the outside edge of the Fleece or Batting. Return the hoop to the embroidery unit.
Free Standing Applique Star
  1. Place Background fabric on top of the trimmed Fleece/batting. Secure it with Step 3 (color change 3) which is the Tack Down Stitch.
Free Standing Applique Star
  1. Remove the hoop from the embroidery unit, place it on a flat surface. Trim the excess fabric and return the hoop to the embroidery unit.
Free Standing Applique Star
  1. Repeat the Tack Down and Trim steps for the 2 colors in the Star.
Free Standing Applique Star Free Standing Applique Star
  1. Remove the hoop from the embroidery unit and turn it upside down. Place the backing fabric on the back of the hoop. Turn over the hoop right side up and pin the backing fabric in the 4 corners. Return the hoop to the embroidery unit.
Free Standing Applique Star Free Standing Applique Star
  1. Thread color 8 is a tack down stitch, which will secure the backing fabric. After the Tack Down stitch, remove the hoop from the embroidery unit, place it on a flat surface. Turn over the hoop and trim the backing fabric.
Free Standing Applique Star Free Standing Applique Star
  1. The next two steps are the satin stitches for the inside Star and outer edge.
Note: This would be the time to change the bobbin thread to match the top thread to get a pretty finish on the backside of the Star ornament or coaster.
Free Standing Applique Star Free Standing Applique Star
  1. You are finished making a coaster. If you wish to make the ornament, complete the last 2 steps. The first one is the placement stitch for the circle at the top of the ornament. Poke a hole in the center of this circle before the final satin stitch.
  1. Remove the design from the hoop. Trim the excess wash away stabilizer from the design. Rinse the edges of the design to remove any remaining wash away stabilizer.
Download the instructions here! Free Standing Star Instructions.pdf
Comments (18)
Florence Says:
11/5/2017 7:04:07 AM

Bonjour from France. I can't open the drawing ; I have pe-design plus and it says it can't open this file ! Thanks to explain to me. Florence from Carcassonne

Reply To Florence

Arlene Nichols Says:
11/5/2017 5:21:16 PM

Can not open the design.

Reply To Arlene Nichols

Alice Says:
11/7/2017 2:51:16 AM

Great to see projects and techniques being published on Dream Machine One and Dream Machine Two with directions working thru the different menus on these machines. Keep the projects and designs coming. Thank you

Reply To Alice

Brian Swisher Says:
11/6/2017 4:07:38 PM

Hi Arlene, We have updated the blog and apologize for the delay. Happy Sewing! Brother Sews Team

Reply To Brian Swisher

Brian Swisher Says:
11/6/2017 4:01:53 PM

Hi Joy, We have updated the blog and we apologize for the delay. Happy Sewing! Brother Sews Team

Reply To Brian Swisher

Brian Swisher Says:
11/6/2017 4:12:15 PM

Hi Patti, When you download the PES file to your computer, use a USB to transfer the file to your Brother Machine. Hope this helps! Happy Sewing! Brother Sews Team

Reply To Brian Swisher

Brian Swisher Says:
11/6/2017 4:09:40 PM

Hi Vera, Simply click on the PES file to download and using a USB, transfer the design over to your Brother machine. Hope this helps! Happy Sewing! Brother Sews Team

Reply To Brian Swisher

Vera Heiner Says:
11/5/2017 3:54:15 PM

How do I download the design. Where on the Web.site

Reply To Vera Heiner

Pam O'Brien Says:
11/5/2017 10:00:39 AM

I have a Brother 6000i Sewing machine. Can this be done with that Machine. Wish I had a Hoop Embr. machine but not in Budget at this time. Thank You

Reply To Pam O'Brien

Marilyn Says:
11/5/2017 11:42:19 AM

I love this design! I work at a retail sewing store and will make some on my next work day to give our customers some inspiration. Thanks Brother.

Reply To Marilyn

Patti King Says:
11/5/2017 8:02:26 AM

I love this project, but for some reason my system won't let me download the design. Any help?

Reply To Patti King

Joy Says:
11/6/2017 4:34:43 AM

Star coaster applique I have downloaded this design but each time I click it to start my project it says Cant read this file version Can anyone help please?

Reply To Joy

Tammy Joyce Says:
11/5/2017 7:35:01 AM

This is really pretty and would make great tree ornaments also. Love the thread and colors used. Thanks for sharing.

Reply To Tammy Joyce

Lily Says:
11/5/2017 11:00:12 AM

This is so good could we have more of this in future

Reply To Lily

Kathleen allbee Says:
11/5/2017 8:34:51 AM

This pes design my software will not open. Most pes designs I can open. I would really love this beautiful design. I have viking software.

Reply To Kathleen allbee

Peggy V Says:
11/5/2017 11:16:25 AM

Unable to open coaster/ornament in my 5d software. Can you advise. Thank you

Reply To Peggy V

Mary Downey Says:
11/5/2017 10:02:31 AM

When I tried to open file on my computer I get a blank screen. I tried it twice in case first file was corrupt. What would you suggest. I thought the ornament was really cute.

Reply To Mary Downey

isabelle fox Says:
11/5/2017 10:59:09 AM

Yea at last something for the 4x4 hoop !

Reply To isabelle fox