I was playing around with metallic thread and satin fabric and ended up with a fabulous mat to hold my jewelry! I could think of other uses for this as well, not to mention it would make an awesome gift! You can make the mat any size you like, but I am going to stick with what will fit into a 5” by 7” embroidery frame.
Embroidery: THE Dream Machine with Premium Pack 1 upgrade
or THE Dream Machine 2
- 2 pieces of satin fabric cut 10" by 8” or cut for whatever hoop size you choose to use
- 7” by 5” hoop
- 1 piece of thin batting cut the same size as the satin fabric
- Brother Metallic thread
- Bobbin thread to match the fabric color
- 1 yard of decorative fringe
- Universal sewing thread
- Quilters ruler
- Rotary cutter and mat
- 1” seam binding (double folded bias tape will work too)
or THE Dream Machine 2
- With the right side of the fabric facing out and batting in between the satin layers, hoop all three pieces.
- Click on Embroidery and thread the machine with Brother metallic thread.
- Go into the My Design Center and click on the SHAPE icon.
- Click on the HOOP icon.
- Choose the 7” X 5” hoop size (of course you can make your mat as large or small as you want, so feel free to choose a different size 😊)
- You will see a red box appear on the grid screen. This is the outline to use as a guide for your designs.
- Click on the SHAPE icon. Click on the wavy rectangle at the top. Click on the decorative heart.
- ROTATE the heart 90 degrees to the left. Then click on SIZE and shrink the heart down to fit into the hoop area.
- Go into the fill area and choose a design.
- Tap the stylus on the design screen outside of the heart and inside of the hoop area.
- Click PREVIEW, SET, and ADD.
- Choose a FONT and enter the letters Love.
- ROTATE the letters 90 degrees to the left.
- SIZE the word to fit into the heart shape.
- Click on EMBROIDERY.
Tip: Take care to watch the metallic thread unwind while the machine is embroidering, just in case the thread starts to twist too much or gets tangled. Metallic thread can have a mind of its own!
- When the embroidery is finished, remove the fabric from the hoop (press the fabric if needed).
- Use a quilters ruler and trim the fabric 1” outside of the finished embroidery design.
- Grab the seam binding or bias tape.
- From the wrong side of the fabric, align the seam binding on the edge of the fabric with half of the tape off the fabric. Change the thread in the machine to universal thread with a stitch length of 3.0 and stitch all the way around the fabric, overlap the beginning of the tape about 1” when you get the end.
- Flip the binding to the right side of the fabric, pin, and stitch.
- Layer trim along the binding. Stitch.
Tip: If there are beads of sequins on the fringe trim, take care not hit any of those with the needle. Use the handwheel if needed to get past those areas.That’s it! I have already started using my jewelry mat and the plan is to make a few more for gifts 😊 Wish me luck! As always, be sure to share photos of your jewelry pads on social media using #angelawolf and #brothersews Cheers, Angela
Leave a Comment
Your email will not be published. Required fields are marked with *