Attention machine embroidery enthusiasts! This month we’re helping you express your heartfelt thoughts with framed stitches. Use the Brother Free Design of the Month as a starting point for your loving sentiments and customize this framed art with your own message for a special gift.
Materials and Supplies
Note: The featured combination design fits a 5-inch X 7-inch hoop. The Free Design by itself will fit within a 4-inch hoop. If your hoop size is limited to 4-inch X 4-inch, consider creating a design with multiple hoopings.
- Brother Embroidery Threads.
- Brother Bobbin Thread.
- Removeable marker for fabric.
- Cotton fabric measuring approximately 10-inches wide X 13-inches long for embroidering design.
- Medium weight fusible interfacing for backing fabric with two layers applied.
Tip: Select an interfacing similar to the type used for crisp collars and cuffs on a shirt.
- Pre-purchased frame suitable for a 5” X 7” photo.
- See Figure #1. Brother Free Design of the Month: Skeleton Key 1.pes
Steps to Create Embroidered Art
- Transfer Free Design to your machine.
- Measure the inside of your picture frame and record measurement. In this example the inside dimension measures 4 ½-inches X 6 ½-inches.
- Working with the 5-inch X 7-inch hoop area, create a combination design as follows:
- Start with the outer rectangular frame shape, sizing it to fit within frame measurement recorded in Step #2. Note: Featured design uses frame shape patterns built into all Brother embroidery machines. See Figure #2.
- Add free Skeleton Key 1.pes design and move it toward center of frame.
- Add heart frame shape. See Figure #3.
- Add small sized lettering inside heart. Re-size heart to fit around lettering. Featured heart measures 2.37” wide X 2.73” high. See featured font in Figure #4.
- Add additional small lettering for message near the bottom.
- Adjust designs to fit within frame shape, rotating and moving as necessary. See completed design below:
- Disassemble frame. Prepare fabric by fusing one layer of interfacing to the wrong side, making it firm and smooth. See Figure #5.
- Layer fabric with tear away stabilizer and place in 5-inch X 7-inch hoop. Embroider design. See Figure #6.
- Remove excess stabilizer, and press finished piece.
- Use glass from frame to trace around the design, taking care to handle the glass carefully. See Figure #7.
- Cut embroidered fabric to fit inside picture opening. Apply a second piece of fusible interfacing to the wrong side. Gather items to put frame together. See Figure #8.
Options and Ideas:
- Create a design combination to fit a larger or smaller fame using the same general instructions.
- Leave glass off frame and add three-dimensional trim, beads, buttons, or novelty items as desired.
- Use the basic guidelines for creating a combination design, making it to fit on the front of a heart shaped pillow.
- Use this idea as a center block for a quilted wall hanging.