Nothing like moving across the country to make you realize how unorganized things can become. Especially the little things that don't have a specific place but you still need like makeup accessories. I didn't want to jam all my drawers with containers and thought this makeup brush holder would be the perfect addition to my vanity. It's a simple project and what I love is it's easy to travel with and makes a great gift. Use the many different decorative stitches the Brother Sewing machine have to offer to jazz it up. Follow the simple tutorial below to sew your own makeup brush holder.
- 1 main fabric 10" x 14"
- 1 interior fabric 10" x 14"
- 1 pocket fabric 10" x 14"
- strap, ribbon, or cording 15" long
DIY tutorial below:
- Begin by cutting out your pattern pieces using the measurements above.
- Fold the pocket piece in half right sides out.
- Sew the raw edges together using 1/2" seam allowance.
- Press the seam allowance down.
- Now attach to the other interior piece leaving about 1/2" at the bottom. Right side should be facing up on both pieces.
- Edge stitch along the bottom and sides. Leave the top folded portion open.
- Using a marking tool and ruler, create lines in your pocket that are anywhere from 1 1/2 " to 1/2". It may be a good idea to get out your brushes and see what you will need. I used a heat sensitive marking pen that disappears once ironed to create the lines.
- Simply top stitch from bottom to top so you won't get any puckering. Be sure to reverse stitch each time.
- Get your straps ready by folding them in half and edge stitch them right sides together. Then flip out with a loop turner.
- Sew them wrong sides together and place them just above the pocket fold as such and baste stitch them into place.
- Place front and back pieces right sides together and pin. Sew using 1/2" seams allowance all the way around leaving a 3 inch opening on the top at midpoint. Be sure not to sew the straps into the sides on accident.
- Flip everything out through the opening you left at the top.
- Press and edge stitch along all the edges to secure the opening and flatten everything.
- Now you can sew your own custom brush holder that's great to store all your brushes and also lovely for a gift. Use the many decorative stitches offered on your Brother sewing machine to add to the bottom.