Embroider and Quilt a Fleece Baby Blanket
When I found out that a dear friend of mine was going to be a great-grandmother for the first time (whoo-hoo!), I thought this would be the perfect project to create and share. Follow the steps below to build your very own adorable fleece baby blanket!
- Scanning with ScanImation Scanning Frame and InnovEye 2 Technology
- Yard of 58” wide fleece fabric
- Embroidery thread
- All-purpose sewing thread
- Medium weight tearaway embroidery stabilizer
- Choose a font.
- Click on the letters and use the icon for adding capital or lowercase letters.
- Add a Disney® embroidery design. I found this design within THE Dream Machine;
there are also numerous fun designs on iBroidery.com.
- Choose a spot on one side of the fabric and hoop the fleece fabric with medium weight tearaway stabilizer.
- Add a plastic topper to keep the embroidery from embedding into the fabric.
Designer Tip: DO NOT tighten the hoop too much or the fabric can get hoop burn.After embroidering, I showed the blanket on my live Facebook show and someone mentioned there was a comma missing after “love” – of course this was after I un-hooped the fabric and turned the sewing machine off. I decided this was a good time to test the ScanImation feature!
- Fortunately, I had not cut away the stabilizer yet so I re-hooped the fabric and stabilizer.
- Using the same font as the lettering, I opted for the minus sign over the comma.
- Scan in the fabric.
- Sit back as the hoop will move around while the fabric in the hoop is scanned into the sewing machine.
- Here you can see the image of the embroidery on the fabric and the minus sign.
- Move the minus sign around, rotate and change the size.
- After seeing how the minus sign looked, I thought about trying a different symbol. Click on “Add” and choose a different symbol from the same font category.
- Move the new symbol in place, rotate, and adjust the size.
- Delete the minus sign.
- Add a plastic topper and embroider.
Note: I did not use topper in this photo so you can see the embroidery.
- Tearaway the embroidery stabilizer.
Quilting the Blanket
- Fold the fabric in half, as shown.
- Insert the folded fabric into THE Dream Fabric Frame
with the embroidery side up.
- Stitch free motion embroidery or stipple the entire blanket. Stitch around the embroidery design and stay 5” from the edges of the fabric.
- Flip the back around and stipple the rest of the blanket, staying 5” from the edges.
- Remove the fabric.
- Trim off the selvages and cut open the side with the fold.
- Cut from the edge of the blanket to the stitching. Cut every 1” as shown.
- Continue to cut around the entire blanket.