Ultimate New Year's Eve Sew A Long: Snazzy Chair Backs
If you’ve been a part of my creative journey for any amount of time, you are probably aware that velvet and satin aren’t substrates that I would normally reach for. But since we at Brother are going big for New Year’s Eve this year, I figured that if there were ever a time for them this was it. These simple bowtie chair backs are full of all the va-va-voom one would need for a NYE celebration, but can be stitched up in a lickety-split.
What You’ll Need for Two Chair Backs:
- 2/3 yard of two different coordinating satins
- 1.5 yards of non-stretch crushed velvet
Note: For the rest of this tutorial, I will be using these measurements, which will work for many chairs. If you’re measurements are different, adjust accordingly.Velvet Cuts
- Fold the length of the fabric in half. From the fold, cut at 19.5” producing a total length of 39”.
- From this, cut two 19” x 39” rectangles.
- Cut four 6” x Width of Fabric (WOF) strips from each satin fabric.
- Place two strips, one of each color, right-sides together. Cut a 45-degree angle on one of the ends.
- Take a second pair of strips, right-sides together with the same color on top and cut a 45-degree angle on the same end going in the opposite direction.
- Follow this process with the third and fourth pair of strips.
- Fold 1” on one end of the velvet rectangle and press.
- Open and fold the fabric on to the line created by the iron and press.
- Fold the fold onto itself and press, encasing the raw edge.
- Edge stitch along the fold to create the hem.
- Repeat these steps on the opposite end of the velvet and with the second velvet rectangle.
- With each pair of strips right sides together, use a 1/2” seam allowance to sew up one side, across the diagonal, and down the other side, leaving the end open.
- Trim the point similar to the picture above.
- Turn right-side-out and press.
- Repeat these steps with the remaining three ties.
- Along each side raw edge and with the point on the bottom, line up each of two complete ties 12” from the bottom of one hem.
- Right-sides together, fold the other hem over and line it up with the original hem. Use clips or pins along the raw edges of both sides.
- Using a 1/2” seam allowance, sew the entire length of each side.
- Using a zig zag stitch with 5 mm width and 2 mm length, sew the edge of the entire length of each side.
- Along the top fold of the inside-out chair back, cut out a 3/4” x 3/4” (excluding the seam allowance) on both corners.
- On one corner, open the square and fold back onto itself with the square corners in the center. Clip/pin and sew with a 1/2” seam allowance.
- Follow all steps with the remaining corner and chair back.
- Turn right-side-out, place over chair back, tie in a bow and enjoy the New Year’s Celebration.
Leave a Comment
Your email will not be published. Required fields are marked with *