The featured Brother foot in this article is the Non-Stick Roller foot. This foot is incredibly versatile and a must have accessory for sewing vinyl and other materials that won’t flow smoothly under the standard presser foot. Use the foot to sew this vinyl lined organizer. This pretty and practical folding organizer is ideal for toting sewing accessories or as a functional travel bag. Since you can choose the color scheme and fabrics, it's suitable for both men and women. Why not make it as a gift for that loved one in your life who needs to keep all those cords and adapters organized while on the go!
Materials and Supplies:
- Brother Sewing Machine
- SA190 Non-Stick Roller Foot
- SA141 Braiding Foot
for optional embellishment on webbing
- Basic sewing notions including thread to match fabrics for sewing
- Pattern and fabrics for bag. Pattern featured here is Simplicity 1128, view E
- Notions as per pattern, including thread to coordinate with fabrics
- 1¾ yards of ¼-inch wide grosgrain ribbon for trimming webbing
- Four pieces of grosgrain ribbon measuring 1/8-inch wide X 5-inches long for zipper pulls
- Coordinating fabric cut into 2-inch wide strips for binding outer edge of bag
Steps to Create Organizer Bag
- Select the necessary pieces for view E organizer bag. See Figure #1.
- Cut pieces from fabric and from 12 gauge clear vinyl as directed in the pattern instructions. Note that construction of the bag is modified slightly, and the non-stick roller foot is used for quilting and construction of the bag from start to finish.
- Attach the roller foot on the machine and thread machine with coordinating sewing thread. Begin by layering the fleece with the outer bag fabric. Prepare to quilt the layers by marking a diagonal line across the center of the bag. TIP: Low tack tape works well for this. See Figure #2.
- Select a serpentine stitch and stitch lines all across the fabric spacing them approximately 1-inch apart. Mark the opposite diagonal line and repeat the process to quilt the entire outer bag piece. See Figure #3.
- Bind edges of vinyl pockets as directed in the pattern.
Tip: Use a washable glue stick to glue binding to edges of vinyl. Allow to fully dry before stitching.
- Prepare to stitch each zipper in place using the Non-Stick Roller Foot.
Tips: Use the low tack tape to hold zipper in place, removing it as you stitch. See Figure #4. [caption id="attachment_8057" align="aligncenter" width="800"] Figure #4[/caption]Line up the foot close to the edge of the zipper teeth and move the straight stitch needle position to the far left so that the straight stitch forms closer to the zipper teeth. See Figure #5. [caption id="attachment_8059" align="aligncenter" width="800"] Figure #5[/caption]
- Optional: Add grosgrain ribbon to the center of each of the webbing straps by feeding the ribbon into the opening on the Braiding Foot. Adjust opening of foot as necessary for the ribbon to flow smoothly. See Figure #6.
- Finish bag according to pattern instructions.
Tips: Since you cannot use pins, use paper clips or special small sewing clips to hold vinyl and fabric layers together. See Figure #7.Use your favorite method for bias binding and bind the edges with coordinating fabric for a custom finish.
Keep In TouchEnjoy your beautiful new bag! Who will you make one for and what will they use it for? Let us know so we can all share in your great ideas by leaving a comment below, and don't forget to tag us on Facebook
at #StitchingSewcial and @BrotherSews so we can follow along with your sewing adventures!
Simplicity pattern is a product of Simplicity Pattern Company Inc. and Brother International Corporation makes no representations or warranties regarding such products.
Leave a Comment
Your email will not be published. Required fields are marked with *