I'm a collector of many things. I have always been and most likely always will be. I love the idea of people picking up souvenirs to remember the places they have been and have been grabbing up wool pennants whenever I see them. I also have a camper and although it isn't vintage I have been decorating it with things that give it that feel. I wanted to combine my love of the pennants and campers to make something fun for our camper. You could hang this anywhere or even make one for your front door that said Welcome. Personalize it and give it as a gift. I have lots of fun ideas about it swirling around in my head. This is also a great way to use up those scraps. Here's what you'll need!
- Download Vintage Camper and Wander With Me text PDF patterns here
- Several different fabrics for appliqués. (I grabbed a few of my very favorite fat quarters.)
- 1 yard of the background fabric (I used Kona Cotton in White by Robert Kaufman)
- ½ yard Pellon® 805 Wonder-Under®
- Basic sewing supplies
- 8.5" x 11" paper and a pencil
Let's Get Started
Preparing your Appliqué
- If making these pieces by hand as I did, trace your camper pattern onto your Wonder Under®, using the mirror imaged version of the camper template (mirror imaged to what the finished camper is.) You will end up with 10 traced pieces. Repeat with the mirror imaged version of the text. Remember, your letters will all be backwards. If you have a ScanNCut2, this would be a great place to use it!! If you are using the ScanNCut2, you will iron your Wonder Under® onto your fabric, scan the pattern pieces you will be cutting for each fabric, place the fabrics onto the cutting mat and cut them as per the instructions in the operation manual.
- Iron onto the Wrong Side of your fabrics.
- Cut out all various shapes.
Creating the Pennant Shape
- Make a template for your Large Triangle. Tape 3 pieces of 8.5" x 11" paper together for one long piece. Draw a 12” line down the one side and then connected the 2 ends to make an isosceles triangle. (2 equal sides) Your triangle is going to be about 35” long.
- Cut your base fabric in half 14” x 45”- one part will be for your base and one will be the back. You will cut it into a triangle after it is quilted. Iron one half lengthwise to mark your center.
- Place your triangle template onto that fabric and trace around the perimeter of it so you have a guide (DO NOT CUT IT INTO A TRIANGLE JUST YET)
Placing your Appliqué
- Peel off paper back from your fusible web and start layering them and ironing down onto your base fabric. Repeat with the lettering.
Load onto your Dream Fabric Frame
- Layer your batting under your base fabric. Make sure you leave a good 5 inches of batting on all sides, centering the base fabric onto it. I just put it onto THE Dream Fabric Frame, used the clamps and bungees to keep it nice and taut. (Optional: You can also spray baste these two layers if you would like.)
- I use an Echo Quilting Foot (Tip!). This way you can see what you are doing.
- Personally, I was going for a more sketched feel so I went near the edges of all the pieces and also in the letters. You could also quilt over the entire piece with large loops, stipples or even words. This is what makes the piece yours!
- Once you are happy with the quilting or thread painting, remove it from The Dream Fabric Frame.
- Lay flat and smooth out. Cut your triangle out on the line you had drawn in step six.
Finishing Your Pennant
- From the remaining base fabric, cut out one more triangle. Then, place this on top of the appliques piece right sides together. Pin and sew using a ⅜” seam allowance- leaving a 2” opening in the middle of the 12” side.
- Clip Corners and turn right side out. Poke out corners and give it a good pressing.
- Cut a piece of fabric for the edge 3” x 12” and fold it in Half lengthwise and press. Stitch across one short side and the open long side creating a tube. Turn this inside out.
- Tuck Edges in on open side and press. Pin in place, lining up the 12” end of the triangle with edge of strip.
- Repeat step 15 with 2 pieces of fabric cut 1 ¾” x 8”
- Stitch across open end.
- Fold these pieces in half and tuck under pinned on strip of fabric.
- Stitch around edges of pinned on strip. Sew close to edges on all 4 sides. This will also close your opening in your triangle.
- Kona is a product of Robert Kaufmann, and Brother International Corporation makes no representations or warranties regarding such products.
- 805 Wonder-Under® is a product Pellon® distributed in the United States through the PCP Group, LLC, and Brother International Corporation makes no representations or warranties regarding such products.