DIY Funky and Fantabulous Reversible Bucket Hat
With summer in full swing, the need for a hat to protect my noggin from the sun’s rays has become apparent. So, I decided to make myself a reversible bucket hat with a tutorial so we can all both take care of our heads and look super cute and stylish.
What you’ll need:
- Two fat quarter cuts of main fabric
- One fat eighth cut of fabric for the band
- Coordinating thread
- Half yard of medium fusible interfacing
- Bucket hat template (Two sizes to choose from. I used the black outlined template)
- Download hat template here: bucket hat template.pdf
For each of the main fabrics, cut out the following:
- One top, two sides, and two brims.
- If adding a band to one of both of the sides, cut out two bands.
- Cut interfacing: I used interfacing only from the brim, but if more stability is desired. Fuse the interfacing to pieces of only one of the main fabrics.
- For the band pieces, fold over 1/4” on the top edge and press toward the back.
- Using pins, line up the bottom and side edges of each band piece to its adjoining side piece.
- Edge stitch each band onto into main piece and baste the bottom raw edges together.
- For each pair of side and brim pieces, place right sides together and sew the raw side edges using 1/2” seam allowance.
- Take one matching side and top. Fold the side in half and press to find quarter marks. The seams will be the other two quarter marks.
- Fold the top in half and in half again before pressing to find the quarter marks.
- Using clips, line up each quarter mark right sides together and clip.
- With the circle on the bottom, sew the side to the top using 1/2” seam allowance. Adjust to make sure that the raw edge of the sides are lined up with the edge of the circle as you sew.
- Take the matching brim, fold in half and press to find the quarter marks. The seams will be the other two quarter marks.
- Using clips, line up each seam and quarter mark right sides together and clip.
- Sew together using 1/2” seam allowance.
- Follow the entire construction process to sew the second set of matching fabric together.
- Right sides together, insert one hat into the other. Line up the raw edges and clip in place.
- using 1/2” seam allowance, sew along the raw edges, leaving a 2” gap.
- Turn the entire hat right side out through the gap.
- Press the edges, including the 2” gap, to ensure maximum crispness.
- Edge stitch around the brim of the hat.
- Continue sewing around the brim every 1/2” until you reach the seam between the top and brim.