~Written by Brother Sews Blogger
With your Brother Sewing and Embroidery machine, Zootopia designs
, and some materials, you can make this knapsack for an imaginative child. It certifies a youngster’s membership in the crime-busting Zootopia PD.
In Disney’s unique metropolis, a rucksack like this would be handy for surveillance when packed with snacks and binoculars. While tracking bad guys through the woods, it could lug a compass and water bottle. Any child would love this useful accessory. It makes a bold statement about youthful commitment to truth, justice and the Zootopian way.
MaterialsSimplicity Burda Pattern 6688
- 5/8 yd pin striped denim for bag
- 12” w x 18” l white denim for pocket
- 2 grommets 7/16” (extra large)
- Brother Sewing and Embroidery Machine
, I used THE Dream Machine
- 4” x 4” OR 8” x 8” frame OR larger
- Zootopia Designs
: I used #05, #06 and/or #07
- Simplicity Burda Pattern 6688
- Thread for embroidery and construction
- Pacesetter Medium Weight Tearaway Stabilizer SA5810
- 3 yds. 7/8”” navy grosgrain ribbon
- 1 yd. 3/8” gold grosgrain ribbon for pocket trim
- 4 star buttons
- Optional: PE Design Software
- Cut two rectangles of blue pin striped denim 17” x 14.” This is larger than the pattern piece.
- OPTIONAL: ZOOTOPIA PD embroidery.
- In PE-Design, use text function to create ZOOTOPIA PD design. Font shown on knapsack is TT Lucida Bright, size 20 mm. Make certain text does not extend into marked corners.
- Add basting frame around text.
- Draw horizontal placement line 2” above and parallel to one short side. This will be the bottom of the bag.
- Draw vertical placement line at center.
- Hoop stabilizer and baste blue denim in place.
- Embroider ZOOTOPIA PD text.
- Mark placement of corner pieces along diagonal seam line.
- Draw a rectangle 8 wide x 9”long at center of white denim. Use a water soluble marker or make visible creases.
- Hoop stabilizer and white denim. Embroider three Zootopia characters
within this area, positioned as shown. If designs extend a little beyond the marked boundary the pocket simply will be a little larger. If so, additional gold grosgrain yardage may be required. Do not yet cut the white denim pocket any smaller.
Cut Pocket to Size
- Cut ½” beyond embroidery ONLY on 2 long sides and bottom short side. Cut 2” above upper embroidery.
- Clean finish all 4 sides with zig zag stitch or serger
Sew Pocket to Bag Front
- Press top finished edge to FRONT of pocket, ½” from top of embroidery.
- Stitch gold grosgrain ribbon across pocket top, covering finished edge.
- Pin pocket to bag front with pocket bottom 3 1/4” from bag bottom.
- Stitch gold grosgrain ribbon across pocket bottom, covering clean finished edge and seaming pocket to bag.
- Stitch gold ribbon along each side, folding raw ends under.
- Sew star button in each corner as shown.
- Sew tiny star button between ZOOTOPIA and PD.
Diagonal Bottom Corners
- Press diagonal seam allowance of each triangular corner piece to wrong side. Place fold against marked corner line. Pin and baste in place.
- Stitch corner pieces in place, ¼” from folded edge.
- Finish all raw edges of bag front and back.
- Place bag front and back right sides together. Beginning at bag top, stitch 1 ½” then back stitch to reinforce. Resume stitching 3” from top, back stitching to reinforce. Continue to bag bottom.
- Repeat on second side. Stitch bag bottom.
- Turn bag right side out. Insert grommets in corners.
- Press side seams open from top to below slit opening for ribbon.
- Fold top edge down 1 ½” for casing.
- Stitch very close to lower finished edge of casing.
- Stitch 1/8” from folded edge, creating a header for the casing.
- Cut (2) 1 ½ yd. lengths of 7/8” navy ribbon.
- Attach large safety pin to one length of ribbon. Thread through casing, beginning at one slit and ending at the same slit.
- Repeat with second ribbon, beginning at opposite side.
- Thread ribbon from right slit through right grommet and knot on back of bag.
- Repeat with left ribbon.
Leave a Comment
Your email will not be published. Required fields are marked with *