Halloween is here and whether your child wants to be scary or sweet, it’s time to make that DIY Halloween costume! This is a simple butterfly costume that can be made for any age. You can even make one for everyone in the family and go as a kaleidoscope of butterflies - the perfect DIY family costume!
Making the wings:
- Your Brother sewing machine
- Your Brother ScanNCut
- A black long sleeve sweatshirt or t-shirt
- 1 yard black fabric
- 1 yard orange fabric
- 1/2 yard white fabric
- Pattern paper
- Fabric marking pens
- Measuring tape
- Straight pins
1. Draw a butterfly wing pattern on a piece of pattern paper. Start by measuring the arm length of the back of a sweatshirt - sketch one side of the wings.
2. Using the bottom of the sweatshirt for guidance. Fold the pattern paper in half cut out the full wing pattern.
3. Lay it on top of the sweater shirt to get an idea of size.
4. Fold the right sides of the black fabric together and half of the wings pattern cut out your wings. Cut 2 for the costume.
Creating the wing detail:
1. Use your ScanNCut to create multiple sizes of circles then cut them out of white fabric.
2. Draw a teardrop shape in several sizes on a piece of paper and scan the pattern into your ScanNCut
3. Cut the teardrops out of orange fabric on your ScanNCut.
4. Use the same amount and size of teardrops on each wing for symmetry.
5. Lay the circles and tear drops on the black wings. Pin and sew them in place. Do the same with the second set of wings.
6. Lay the finished appliqued wings with the right sides together and sew around the edges. Turn them right side out and top stitch.
To attach the wings to the sweatshirt:
1. Cut the sides and bottom of the sleeve along the seam-line
2. Lay the sweatshirt open with the arms outstretched
3. Place the finished wings onto the right side back of the sweatshirt and pin in place. Also pin the wings to the top of the sweatshirt sleeves
4. Sew the wings to the top of the sleeves and to the back of the sweatshirt.
5. With the right sides of the sweatshirt facing each other, sew the side seams and sleeves. Be sure the wings are stuffed inside.
6. Turn it right side out.
Pair this cozy and colorful DIY costume with black leggings, comfy shoes and an antenna headband.