and install the CUPS driver, please follow the steps listed below:
1. Open your Internet browser and
browse to http://www.brother-usa.com/downloads
2. Choose your Product Group, Model,
and click View.
3. Click on the link under Your
4. Under Step 1: Select OS,
select your operating system.
5. Under Step 2: Select
Language, select your language.
6. Click on the Search
7. Under CUPS Printer Driver
(Recommended) click Information & Download.
8. On the next page, click on the
9. On the End-User License Agreement
for Brother Software page click I Accept. The download will
10. Once the download is complete, the
Installer Disk Image will be mounted on your Desktop. You will find the
installer package icon on the desktop.
NOTE: If you don't
find the installer package icon, extract the xxxxxxxx.dmg file manually with
Disk Copy or Disk Utility. Disk Copy or Disk Utility can be found in
11. Double click the installer package
12. On the welcome screen click
13. On the software license agreement
screen click Continue.
14. When the message appears stating: To
continue installing the software you must agree to the terms of the software
license agreement. Click Agree.
15. On the Standard Install screen click
16. When prompted, enter your admin
password to complete the install.
Depending on how your Macintosh operating system was configured you may be
required to enter the administrator password to install software or drivers. If
you do not know your password, please contact your organizations network
administrator or Apple to inquire how to determine the password of your
17. Once the install completes, restart
18. Verify the cable is connected to the
printer and Macintosh computer.
19. When the Macintosh completes its
startup, add the printer.
Macintosh OS 10.7 - 10.8: Click on the Apple => System Preferences
=> Print & Scan.
Macintosh OS 10.5 - 10.6: Click on the Apple => System
Preferences => Print & Fax.
20. Click the + (plus) button and
select your printer (Brother HL-XXXX series) from the Default Browser
21. Make sure that "XXXXXXX + CUPS" is
selected in the "Print Using" list. (Where XXXXXXX is your model name.)
22. Click Add.
Macintosh OS 10.7 - 10.8: The printer is now available in the Print
& Scan list.
Macintosh OS 10.5 - 10.6: The printer is now available in the Print